Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Initial Thoughts on Cambodia

I arrived in Cambodia this morning.  What a roller-coaster of experiences this will prove to be!  My first impression is that if the Cambodian writing on signs and awnings were substituted for Spanish this could be any number of Latin American cities I have seen.  I suspect the same could be said of Africa, but I haven't been there (yet).  I intend to post more later, but I'll briefly share some of my early experiences with you.

A snack during my brief layover in the Tokyo airport.  The bottle of soy sauce reminds me the tabasco sauce they put in MRE's.

A European inspired, in-flight breakfast on AirBangkok this morning.

In-flight entertainment.  Can you name the show?

We are staying in a plush, 4-star hotel for less than the cost of a Motel 6 in the states.  These shacks along the river are the view from our window.  Wrap you brain around this: more people in the world live like this...

than like this.  In other words, the houses above are normal.  Yours isn't.

The drive here.  We survived!
This evening we will meet with a missionary working in the area, and tomorrow we'll get a tour of his mission organization.  We will also get a tour of the Killing Fields.  We are surrounded by spiritual and economic poverty.  Pray that we can be a light in the brief time we are here.  Pray that we can be as gracious towards our hosts as they are towards us.

No comments: