Monday, February 25, 2008

Church Music

God created us with a wide range of emotions. These emotions are all good and all have a proper expression in a proper context. These emotions are part of the image of God that we have the distinct
privilege to reflect and enjoy. To say that something is evil simply because it appeals to the flesh is to deny the innate goodness of these emotional (fleshly) feelings. Remember, context is the key in indulging these emotions, but also remember that theologically and biblically speaking, these emotions do have their proper place and bring glory to God when enjoyed there (and only there). Music, perhaps more than any thing else, powerfully connects with these emotional feelings.

I do not believe that we can categorize music as right and wrong based on the way it sounds or how it makes us feel. I do believe we can categorize music as appropriate and inappropriate for a given context based on the way it sounds. Let me explain. Chris Tomlin writes some of my favorite contemporary songs ("How Can I Keep from Singing," "Mighty Is the Power of the Cross") but, in my opinion, he makes a big blunder with "All Bow Down." The music is praise music - joyful, uplifting, makes you want to move - but the words are worship. The feeling associated with praise is obvious; the feeling associated with worship is humility. The lyrics say, "here comes the King, all bow down" (worship, humility), but the music makes me want to celebrate. That doesn't work. I'm not saying it's sinful, I'm just saying it doesn't work. I understand that there is a certain degree of subjectivity in that statement, but musicians agree that there are some universals here as well. If you don't believe them just ask a two-year old why he dances to some songs and not to others.

We have the liberty and biblical precedent to enjoy a wide variety in our church music. Psalm 150 names basically every instrument in existence at the time. We are to use all of our resources for the glory of our God. Surely this principle does not exclude musical ability. Music is meant to praise God, worship God, stir our hearts for action, and turn our hearts toward reflection. If we are serious about this, our music needs to make sense. I don't get into the old/new, hymn/chorus debates. Church music should touch on all of the Christian life, and to do that, it must make sense both lyrically and musically. There is good and bad in just about every genre and era of Christian music out there. My aim is to use the best I can find to bring glory to God. My view of music in a nutshell: the church should do music on purpose.

No comments: