Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Translations

Having once held to the KJVO position I am well aware of the difficulty surrounding this topic. There are textual issues, transmition and preservation issues, translator issues, and faith issues, to name just a few. Frequently there is also a strong emotional element as seen in some of the book titles from this point of view such as, "Touch Not the Unclean Thing," and "Settled in Heaven." I am not even going to attempt to resolve such issues in a blog format. If we agree, great. If we strongly disagree I am not going to try to change your mind. If you are kind of KJV, or KJV and not sure why, send me an e-mail. I'd love to discuss this with you. For every one else here is where I stand without (too much) additional commentary.

My absolute favorite translation to date is the English Standard Version. I like the New American Standard, the Revised Standard, the Holman Christian Standard, and the New King James pretty well. I'm not particularly fond of the NIV for various reasons, but, I think the translators did a great job in what they set out to do. I don't have a problem preaching from the old KJV where the congregation uses it as their standard. The KJV has a beautiful history and tradition that I do not wish to diminish, but for the sake of the modern reader I acknowledge and appreciate the wonderful contribution of contemporary scholarship. Regardless which translation is read during the preaching, the preacher has a responsibility to the Word of God as it exists in the original languages. So, NIV, KJV, ESV... the important thing is to understand what God said and what that means in real life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eli once a KJVO? Come on man you don't need to make up stories just because you have a blog and all! =P

I guess the greater question isn't "What do you think of the KJV?", it's "Do you think a Baptist can ever be led to the Lord from an ESV?" =P