Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Landstuhl Castle

This evening I had the opportunity to see the Nanstein Castle in Landstuhl.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.



You can see the town of Landstuhl in the background.



This was the enlisted soldiers' baracks.

Another view of the enlisted baracks... as compared to...

The Officers' Quarters.
The Officers' Quarters from another view.


More than just a decorative fountain, the basen was used to collect rain water.


I didn't see it in the tour guide, but I'm almost certain the blue trashcan liner is an authentic, 12th century piece.

Kind of like a duck blind, arrows could be fired out through the openings on either side of the gate, but virtually impossible for an enemy to fire into the castle. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics! My ancestors came from Kaiserslautern, Otterberg and Zweibrucken. I've been there and I definitely want to go back! I hope you get to Otterberg one of these days. The cathedral is beautiful.